Monday, March 30, 2009

Get on the Bus!

For any of my faithful readers who followed me on different adventures both here in Mexico and in Ecuador, they might remember that there was one constant pin in my side during life on the equator--those wild, free-wheeling, befringed buses. After I stepped off my last bus in Ecuador, circa May 2008, I swore to myself, "nope, no more, no way JOSE". And of course, until Quito pulls me back down into its intoxicating metropolis (interpret "intoxicating" as you will), I haven't placed my fragile life into the hands of a frazzled, potentially suicidal bus driver again. Yes yes, I do realize I'm being a little harsh on those buses--they served me and my friends so very well, shuttling us back and forth across the Andean republic each weekend. We had some pretty great times during that four month sojourn and here are just a few highlights to go down in history:

1. Making the daily three bus commute from Northern Quito to Cumbaya, where my classes awaited. After one day into the new routine and six bus rides later, I seriously considered creating a new category in my budget entitled: Taxi Fare/Personal Chauffeur. Self-will and perhaps a bit of vanity held me back...I didn't want to be that girl who couldn't handle the bus rides, so I sucked it up, zipped up my black hoodie and chased those buses down each and every day.

2. While I may have loathed riding the buses alone, that doesn't mean I didn't have a jolly good time in the company of my friends on the first bus back from school, devouring cheap and tasty ice cream while flying around the death curves.

3. When the most foul-looking, surly bus driver I had ever set my eyes upon seemed to be a mission to out-race every car, bus and motorcycle on the road from Otavalo to Quito. I was about as close as I ever was to mustering up the courage to asking him to drive more carefully when we picked up more and more children, who perched around his throne and magically, he drove like a saint. My sister and I exhaled a sigh of relief and concentrated on the majestic cliffs and valleys.

4. The most luxe bus ever--La Reina del Camino--which transported a small pack of us from Quito to Canoa, a 9 hour bus ride to the beach. I even caught some precious sleep, which was a true sign that I felt at peace. Even if there was a moment in which we found ourselves at a halt about two inches away from another bus (apparently we were both too wide for the road), I had to chuckle. A event-less bus ride would have been too much to ask for, but I trusted in my "chofer" and his plucky assistant to pull us through.

5. The Bus That Raced and Did Not Escape Unscathed. Damn that bus...I was so close to being home before being booted off of it after it scraped up against another competing bus. So sick of putting my life into the hands of the seeming demons of the road, I decided to throw prudence to the wind and ran home in the dark, puddle-filled night.

6. One particular evening, on the final leg of the commute, it seemed the crowds at the bus station were rowdier than usual. Few of the electricized buses were pulling up and while the amount of people grew, so did their impatience. As I edged further up in the line, more commuters were arriving from their connections and a few brazen types did their best to jump the crowds and weasel their way onto the awaiting chariot. Understandably, tempers flared and it was the closest I ever felt to a small-scale riot, as people shoved left and right to secure a spot before the mechanicized doors slammed shut. Again, I decided to trek my way home on foot, which wasn't so bad except for when I unknowingly took a sidewalk that dead-ended into a busy freeway.

7. Learning the faces and jingles of each different vendor who hopped onto the Cumbaya bus. My personal favorites were the fruit and candy sellers, whereas the pirated DVD and CD vendors baffled me, as it seemed they almost never made a sale.


While there's still more tales to tell from that era, it's time to usher in the present. Here I am in Mexico, and in comparison, am leading the life of a pampered princess that gets rides to and from her destinations. However, the fates intervened today, and I'm finding myself torn between the old Quito Question: do I risk the bus (and save seven times as much in fare) or do I flag down a taxi? I have to get downtown to a teacher-training class and really, have I become so soft that I can't hop back into the saddle? I did take this particular yellow bus downtown before here in Monterrey, and in all truth, it's usually fine. No fringed curtains, no outrageous racing, perhaps maybe a few stickers declaring its name at most. What's holding me back? A never-ending slew of bad experiences in Ecuador? The fact that it's about 93 F outside and there won't be the sweet breeze of air conditioning tickling my sweaty skin? Sheer laziness? Probably a shameful mix of all three. But in the name of cheapness and interesting life experiences, I'm going to get back onto that bus and cruise along to my next destination.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Paula, in my crazy news, I think I'll be braving those buses again soon...

    I'm glad life is great and you're having fun in Monterrey! Dang it's hot though...

    ReplyDelete