Saturday, March 14, 2009

It's Chilly and I'm Loving It

Way back when in December, when I was busy planning away to make the move down here to Monterrey, I purchased a certain jacket that one of my dear sisters had her eye on. It was a fantastic Dress for Less deal that is a shining jewel in my thrifting crown--a mint-condition feather-down Gap jacket that I'm sure retailed for at least $100 that I snagged at an exhilarating $3.50. Yes!! And when I was busy gloating around the house, Rachel pointed out to me that I was soon on my way to a toasty country just south of the border and that perhaps, such a coat would serve better in bitter Chicago temps. "Hrmph!" I sniffed and assured her that Monterrey, unlike any other part of Mexico, has its own biting winter winds that leave its residents huddled around space heaters and piling on the layers. So, the coat, along with a Grandma-provided supply of LL Bean wool socks and my giant red robe all got packed up after Christmas and off I went.

And yet, that bitter cold never seemed to arrive. The weather was brisk at times, certainly, and in an over-eager moment, I may have bundled myself up in the feathers, but overall, the Monterrey winter has been...sunny and warm. What happened?! I've been forced to pull out my skirts and t-shirts months before I thought it would be necessary. What actually has the locals biting their nails have been the extraordinarily hot days we've had sprinkled throughout February and March, that strangely were followed by cool, sweater days. Fingers pointed to global warming and anxieties were being raised about what awaits us in July, but nonetheless, here we were, roasting away in winter.

Until now. For one last fantastic hurrah, the clouds have darkened and cold rain has poured down in the desert. I ran for my wool socks, cloaked myself in the gigantic, highly unflatteringly (but oh-so-cozy) robe and fleece pants, and strapped on my boots yet again. La Abuelita, Roberto's grandma, even went to buy some guava and made my very favorite warm Mexican drink "ponche", which normally only makes an appearance around Christmas. In case you are wondering, ponche is incredibly easy to make--boil water, a few cinnamon sticks, cut up some guava (check your local Mexican grocery store) or apple and drink to your delight. I'm sure it's only going to last a few days, but I'm living it up in grand fleece fashion.

No comments:

Post a Comment