Thursday, March 12, 2009

TOCAYO!!



This evening, as I was reflecting about how fascinating it is to learn another language--the state of contact flux and picking up new words in surprising places--Roberto's neighbor came to mind.

Ever since I first hit the pavement here in "La Aurora", the tightknit community that Roberto's family calls home, I began to recognize familiar faces and neighborhood instituions. There's the elderly and endearing couple that owns "El Maestro" Papeleria, or the paper/office supply shop, which I visit for my photocopying and wrapping paper needs. Their tawny, floppy-eared cocker spaniel swoops through the neighborhood each morning, swiftly shuffling along the sidewalk to his next destination.

Then, of course, there is the family that owns the compact yet highly organized "Super Hugo" corner grocery store that serves as a junk food and candy mecca for all children with a few pesos in their pocket. I myself admit to feeling slighty giddy each time I step out of the house and walk the 20 paces to the corner to indulge in a bag of mangos, something cool to drink or to further my exploration of Mexican candy (which, by the way, is heavily dusted in chili powder). The family that owns El Super Hugo has their own little kingdom underway here in La Aurora, with a key shop, a butcher shop, a candy shop and a slew of real estate around the hood and of course, with the corner grocery store as its flagship property. Mostly the adult children of the owners take turns running El Super Hugo. They all resemble each other and handle the daily influx of vendors dropping off their goods, from the Lala dairy truck (they have the best yogurt) to the more local products, like tortillas and produce.

And one cannot mention the shops around La Aurora without describing the local Cibercafe, where many a child (and also, adults) goes to fiddle away on the internet. The chairs all feel and look like a million and two 10 year olds have sat in them while playing games and looking at their favorite reggaeton music videos. The middle-age couple that owns the upper-level internet cafe keep snacks and soda on hand for purchase and often sit chatting with visitors while keeping an eye on their many machines.

Among these places and many more, the neighborhood of La Aurora keeps a steady beat. Here on la Calle Septiembre, where Roberto's family lives, certain neighbors make themselves more visible than others. To the left of the house lives Mariquita, the elderly lady with an air of dignified elegance about her. Her front garden, which is covered in flowers and has little ornaments blowing in the breeze, is also home to Camila the Chihuahua, who anxiously wags her tail each time we come by to visit her.

However, it's not all peaches and cream all the time here in La Aurora--there has to be a black sheep to every block! And unfortunately, the black sheep of la Calle Septiembre live right on the other side of us, in their Halloween orange and turquoise house. They are cordial enough, but make their presence audibly known through many ways--heavy snoring that extends beyond their property boundaries, a father that has a penchant for hacking loogies while shooting the breeze outside, the large iron grill on wheels that they drag down the street each weekend for their roasted chicken stand, and of course, the monthly "parties" in which a tv is transported outdoors and we are all serenaded to loud colombiana music.

Nonetheless, everyone generally lives in peace, although not necessarily quiet, in this little neighborhood. Recently though, my attention was drawn to one particular character who lives next to Mariquita, and whom I long thought was named Tocayo. He's an older gent who often sits perched on the narrow sidewalk in a curlycue wooden rocking chair, taking in the sights. And everytime that Roberto steps out of the house or walks by him, he always raises his arm up in salutation and yells out, "Tocaaayo!" and Tocayo nods and greets him back.

So naturally, I assumed that this man's name was Tocayo, which I had never heard of, but in a language where there are nicknames ranging from Chuy to Chayo, I didn't think twice until the other day. I was walking down to the Internet Cafe to print something out and I passed Tocayo, and he grunted out a cheerful "Buenos.." to me and I said "Buenos" back and kept on my way. Upon finding the Cafe closed, I headed back immediately, and found Tocayo a few steps from where I had left him, meandering slowly down the sidewalk. He gave me a smile and asked, "Tan rapido?!" and I laughed back and said that yes, my trip was that quick.

When I got back to the house and explained my encounter to Roberto, he started to chuckle and told me that Tocayo's name wasn't Tocayo, but rather, it was also Roberto! And that when you call someone "Tocayo" or "Tocaya" (between women), it's a way of saying hi to someone with your same name without having to awkwardly yell out your own name. Of course! How much sense that makes! But I can't think of an equivalent to how we handle that situation in the States...usually if two people have the same name and are in contact with each other a lot, often one of them will choose to go by another related nickname, like "Joe" instead of "Joey" or "Joseph". And we most certainly don't call out, "Hey, Namesake!!" like one dictionary suggests! Any thoughts?

P.S. I'm going to try my very best to discreetly get some pictures of the places and people I mentioned in this point, but it will take some sly movement on my part, to avoid looking like the suspicious and weird neighborhood gringa.

No comments:

Post a Comment